May 2, 2014

Making of Mondrian Inspired Hotel Room

by Rakan Jandali, UAE 


Inspiration
I designed this Room Based on one of Piet Mondrian’s Artworks in the 1920s called “Lozenge”, I’m a fan of his art and the way he uses straight simple Black lines to create  his paintings, adding the three primary colors (red, Yellow & Blue) on a white background.




artwork
Workflow
Like most of the other 3D artists, I used LWF “Linear Work Flow” it helps to give a realistic look to your render.

Go to: preferences - Gamma and LUT click on enable and set everything to 2.2.
gamma
Modeling Process

I wanted to reflect Mondrian’s Lines in the bedroom by dividing it into 5 different places with different levels that varies across the room to add an interesting look to it. You can see that by looking at the colored plan below,
plan
The walls of the room were simply modeled using a Line and then extruding it, the ceiling was done in the same method just added  some gaps in between with height difference to allow the wash light to go in between.
walls
The window frames and the TV unit were inspired by Mondrian Lines too and modeled using the same method mentioned above.
tv unit

frame
The furniture in the room Like the sofa and armchairs were taken from Model + Model Vol .7 Libraries and also the bed model was taken from Ramon’s the G spot. I wanted to use this bed in particular to break the boxy square look in the room as it was a big influence.

The coffee table and the rest of the accessories were simply modeled in 3ds Max using Low poly modeling method; it's pretty simple and straight forward.

For me I always like to model all the furniture separately then I merge them into the main max file.

For the timber flooring I used Floor Generator Script, you can see the settings for the floor in the image below:
floor
After that I converted  the floor object to editable poly and started moving some timber planks up and down randomly to give it a more realistic look, you can also do that using Tilt section in the floor generator script.
model
The feature wall is a series of boxes moving in and out with two tones timber finish and lighting effect.

It was simply modeled using editable poly and chamfering the edges, I just added a vray-light material to the sides that pop out to give that nice look to it.
wall

Camera Settings
For this scene I used a V-ray physical Camera and settings were :
Film gate: 40
Focal Length: 20
F-Number: 8
White Balance: Neutral
Shutter Speed: 15
Film Speed: 150
Exposure, vignetting and Depth of field on
Render Settings
The render settings are  pretty simple , actually after experimenting with so many different settings  that you guys can get out of any other ”making of”  I was able to make my own that are suitable to fit my render machine  and  less time consuming .
You can see my render settings for this scene below:
render
Lighting and Texturing
Lighting the scene was pretty straight forward, using a couple of V-ray lights and a V-ray sun.

The main two vray lights by the window were a skylight portal and the rest of the lights were normal plane vray lights with a warm color.

I always prefer to start with a grayscale render before I start adding any textures to the scene as it helps to get the right lighting setup.

You can see my lighting set-up below:
lighting

setup
For texturing the scene, I use v-ray standard materials; here are some samples of my materials set-up for this scene:
For the timber flooring I’ve put a nice timber texture in the diffuse section then added a grayscale texture of the same map in both reflection and bump sections.

timber floor material
For the armchair fabric I used a falloff map for diffuse section and copied the fabric map onto the reflection section and also added a grayscale map of the fabric in the bump section
armchair

armchair
Also same thing applies to the sofa Fabric just in blue color.

For the wall Feature I used two different materials, one was done with a V-ray dirt map and the other one is basically the same thing just without the Dirt map, to give it that checker effect.
feature wall

checker

After making a couple of test renders to get the right look, I set the scene for hires render.
This is the Raw render:
raw render
This is the final process and it’s quite important as the final result will always depend on your skills at doing good photo post editing, to give your image a nice artistic look.

I usually use Photoshop as the main software, sometimes I use others like After Effects or Light room with Photo looks Plug-in. First I start to adjust the brightness and contrast of the image with a quick color correction.
brightness
After that I start to bring the colors out by selecting the items individually using some alpha Renders or maps.
To create the alpha map, I use two v-ray standard materials black and white and apply the white material only on the items I’m going to adjust in Photoshop and the rest will get the black one.
samples

alpha channels
Next I start retouching the image using the burn and dodge tool to add more shadows and give it more life.

burn and dodge
Then I start adding some lens flares and use the Diffuse glow filter.
lens flare
I follow that buy adding lens correction filter to get the chromatic aberration, remove some distortion in the image and add some vignetting.
lens correction
Also make an ambient occlusion render of the scene and add it in Photoshop as a layer by setting the blending mode to Multiply, you might need to change the opacity of it, doing that will add more shadows and will bring out the details in your visual. After merging all the layers I make some curves color correction.
curves
Here is the final result
final
source: http://www.cgarena.com/

2 comments:

Saqib Khatri said...

Positive site, where did u come up with the information on this posting? I'm pleased I discovered it though, ill be checking back soon to find out what additional posts you include. hotel table lamps

crack said...



So nice I am enjoying for that post as for u latest version of this Security tool Available
autodesk-3ds-max-crack
sam-broadcaster-pro-crackk
revo-uninstaller-pro-crack
avs-audio-converter-crack
4k-video-downloader-crack
mycleanpc-license-key-crack

Post a Comment