May 2, 2014

Lighting and Rendering in 3ds max using Mental Ray

by Nabil Chequieq


Hello, I am Nabil Chequieq and welcome to my tutorial, you will learn how to light and set up some materials for a nice result in a shorter time.

To start make sure you are working in a metric unit with realistic proportion, first I used a Daylight System




daylight system

Let's change the setting of the sunlight and skylight to MR sun and MR sky and for fast calculation of Global illumination and activate the  mr sun photons.

Now let's take a look at some materials actually I prefer to render some objects with ambient occlusion in max before occlusion pass for that's arc and design material have an option called  special effects we can activate the ambient occlusion








For the wall I used a little bit of noise in Bump map.

bump noise
and for the glass I used a different kind of material called ProMaterials with a persona setting.

material editor

Now let's take a look in exposure control ( 8 ) keyboard short key, default when you choose Daylight, max tell you if you want to activate it, these are the settings...
exposure settings

For the indirect illumination I used final gather and little bit of global illumination, I don't used the diffuse bounces.
indirect illumination

and I used some passes in render element for compositing in Photoshop and this is the cool stuff.
render elements


and this is the render

render

now the setting of the ambient occlusion.

ambient occlusion
in Photoshop I am doing some colour correction and contrast.

color correction

and this is the final render.

final render

 I hope that you have learned something from this brief tutorial and if you have any questions then please feel free to contact me. Thanks

1 comments:

digitalhts said...

Very Nice Post. it is really greatful post. keep posting. otherwise anyone wants to learn 3d Max Training Courser so, Contact Here- +91-9311002620 or visit website- https://www.htsindia.com/Courses/cad-cam-cae/autocad-3ds-max-training-course

Post a Comment